Wednesday 19 May 2010

Baked apple loving

My new foodie obsession:


Meet my baked apple, stuffed with brown sugar, raisins and oats, with cinnamon yoghurt. I had it for the first time yesterday evening, and it blew my mind. So guess what I'm having for supper today. That's right!

So in the oven now is a Granny Smith, washed, and hulled with a sharp knife. In the resulting cavity is a mixture of raisins, quick cook oats and brown sugar which had been soaked in a tiny bit of water for ten minutes. That gets baked in the oven for about an hour at about 180 degrees celsius, and served with natural yoghurt sprinkled with cinnamon. Yum yum yum!
And now my inventive-cookery-mind is wondering, what other fillings could I put in the middle. Mincemeat springs to mind, so do ground almond and oatmeal, or maybe something using Cointreau... or chocolate... or peanut butter.... maybe dates and pecans.... ooooh the possibilities!

Today I took my conversataion class (2 18 year old girls) out for hot chocolate to say goodbye, so we sat and chatted, and at the end they gave me a thankyou present - a little bag of individual truffles from the speciality chocolatier where we live - they'd remembered from a class ages ago precicely which my favourite truffle was (cassis truffle, rolled in crushed freeze-dried berries) and bought me 4 of them and 4 random other truffles. It was so sweet and thoughtful - I felt very loved! I'll miss them!

No comments:

Post a Comment