Saturday 9 March 2013

30th June 2010 – Red Riding Hood



Each morning after breakfast I took a basket out to the middle garden. I had arrived at the peak of the strawberry season, and I marvelled at how quickly the berries ripened on their sprawling vines. Every day there were new splashes of red, hiding away under the gently serrated, teardrop- shaped leaves which were always grouped in threes. Crouching down to save my back, my legs brushed against the plants bathing in morning dew. The movement released the sweet scent of the strawberries and of the wild spearmint that was pushing up between the tiny bushes. Sometimes, if I had missed them the day before, the berries were overripe and blistered upon contact with my fingers, bleeding their fragrance in rivulets over my skin. These berries were the sweetest, and they never made it to the basket, much less to the kitchen; they were the farmhand’s treat. 

The children’s treat, on the other hand, was home-made strawberry ice cream. Any strawberries that survived the morning uneaten were stored in the freezer. Mid- afternoon they were extracted by Anne-Marie, who introduced them quickly to the blender before they could defrost in the heat wave. She added a sprinkle of caster sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice, and called the troops to table from whatever battle they had been playing out in the sawdust. It was heavenly. Once the strawberries were over, we moved onto blackcurrants, and once the blackcurrants finished, the raspberries should have been ripe, but I never found out: I was over the hill and not so far away by then. 

After the strawberries, it was time to go out collecting chestnut flowers. The Ardèche was a region famous for its chestnut products, mostly its marrons glacés, or candied chestnuts. But it was not only the fruits of the tree which are transported to the luxury food shelves of the supermarkets. That happened in the autumn when the nuts were ready to harvest. For about three weeks in the summer, the trees were in full bloom, and I arrived at the beginning of the season for these fleurs de châtaigner. The smell was pungently sweet – verging on sickly despite definite chetnutty undertones – and very distinctive. Some locals said it smelled like semen. I preferred not to dwell on it.

There were no chestnut trees on the farm itself, and Anne-Marie couldn’t take me to where they were as she would normally, no thanks to her dancing exploits, so she drew me a rudimentary map and told me to fill the two baskets she gave me. Off I went in my floppy sunhat, feeling a little bit like Little Red Riding Hood skipping off into the forest, except without the necessary cape. Up to the main road I skipped, and along it for a way and then up an exposed stony path which wound in zigzags up to the borders of a wood, beyond which I could see nothing. As Anne-Marie’s map predicted, the path split in two, the left-hand remaining in full sunlight while the right-hand disappeared into the trees. I turned right. A little way along was where my first clump of chestnut trees would be; I was to recognise them primarily by the large yurt hiding behind them. I didn’t need to look for the yurt though: the trees themselves were obvious enough. 

Unlike the horse chestnut of the UK – which I discovered was in fact not a chestnut at all – the leaves of these chestnut trees were long and pointed, deep green and waxy above, light and papery below, curling slightly at the edges giving the appearance of being more spear-like than they actually were. Amongst the leaves lay the blossom, also in needle formation. Each needle of blossom was about 15cm long. I had worried on my walk that I wouldn’t be able to tell whether the blossom was ready for Anne-Marie, but my fears had been for nothing.  If the flowers were yet to bloom, the needles resembled petrified snakes – stiff, dry and covered in tiny greeny-brown scales. If they were past their best, they were the burnt yellow colour of the desert and softly spiny. Anne-Marie had asked for fluffy, and there was fluffiness in abundance, pale bright yellow fluffiness as if a thousand miniature parsnip-coloured longhaired cats were stuck in the branches of the tree, their tails hanging down.

The lowest cat-tails hung at chest level, and I quickly stripped the first tree of these, moving up and around until they began to tease me just beyond the reach of my fingertips. That was when I started jumping, glad that I had chosen sturdy walking boots over flimsy sandals and stumbling from time to time as I misjudged a large stone or two upon landing. Once I had exhausted that possibility, I jumped for the highest branches possible, and dragged them down, shimmying as far into the tree along the pliant branches as I could without my feet leaving the ground. It was whilst in this somewhat compromising position, astride a large leafy branch and with so much pollen in my hair that I appeared blonde rather than brunette, that three things happened almost simultaneously. The first was that my watch strap was ripped from my wrist by a particularly violent branch, which was irritating as it was a new watch and I was rather fond of it. The second was that, glancing down, I noticed that my bra, which had been white, was now yellow from fallen pollen, and more importantly that a couple of sizeable beetles had taken residence in it. They weren’t doing me any harm and could easily have been there for half an hour already, but once I was aware of them I was understandably quite keen to fish them out. At this point, the third thing happened in the shape of the appearance of a man called John: the owner of the yurt. He didn’t seem remotely surprised to find a strange girl growing from a tree in what was effectively his front garden. He noted my basket half-full with blossom, introduced himself, asked if I was WWOOFing, wished me well and wandered off. It was just as well that he didn’t stay to chat. I couldn’t have hidden the discomfort of the crawling sensation over my chest for much longer.

One tree had taken me just under an hour, I reckoned, and I moved happily along the path, stripping the chestnuts as I went and eventually finding myself in an open field full of hay bales. Having lost my watch to the nettle-strewn undergrowth, I had no idea what the time was, but the sun was high overhead and I could feel its heat. My baskets were heavy with pollen, my arms aching at the inside of my elbows, and the arches of my feet were beginning to complain. I rested a moment against the nearest hay bale. It was only a moment, because upon closer inspection it turned out to be a hotel for a wide variety of mini-beasts. I wasn’t keen on a repeat of the beetles-in-the-bra episode. Besides, I had expected the hay bale to be soft – hay should be soft – but this was most definitely a scratchy straw bale, so I set off back to the house. I still had no idea why Anne-Marie wanted the flowers that I had collected, but I hadn’t collected enough to satisfy her.  Before I was to find out their purpose, I was sent on two further expeditions to local chestnut trees. Whatever she was going to use them for, she clearly needed them in immense quantities.

No comments:

Post a Comment